The breathtaking speed that this Occupy Wall Street Movement has spread not only in the United States but around the world is an indicator of how disenfranchised the general public feels. As my blog, "The Rise of the Independents" predicted, there is a tremendous backlash building against what I call the 'Corporate-Government Complex' where politicians and corporate execs go through a revolving door from one side to the other in their mutually benefical arrangement. This is exascerbated by the election cycle where politicians first - and sometimes only - priority is to get re-elected. In so doing, they solicit and receive corporate largess to fill their campaign war chests and after their election or re-election their are beholden to either pass laws or decline to that are favorable to their corporate puppeteers. It's as if no one in Washington realizes that they can use federal campaign funds and get elected without being bought and paid for by Corporate America, Inc. Oh, and yeah, don't they know our votes are free? 

With these thoughts in mind, the Citizens Party and other like-minded independent third parties has an unprecedented opportunity to establish a foothold in the Steel Door of American Political Power that is being forced open after 40 years. The people of  the Occupy movement - the American People - want their country back. I say lets give it to them. The CP should establish a presence with them and show that there is an altenative to the status quo. However, we should refrain from any anarchistic actions as we win elections not through protests and marches, but through the power of media. Lets monitor the breadth and scope of this "American Spring" and see how we can show that the Citizens Partry platform is truly the way forward. 

PF

Views: 348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

CP's Main Street Platform will resonate with many of the OWS folks. That is if they know that Citizens Party exists, until yesterday I had no idea this party existed.

Well said Brian. As far as the OWS goes, I think that everyone has come to the same conclusion that America has been for sale for a while and the American Dream is no longer a forgone conclusion. For the first time in US history, the young generation IS NOT better off than their parents nor will they be any time soon. A college degree does not guarantee a graduate a job if there are no longer any jobs to apply for.

There was a time when America had something for everybody - blue collar factory jobs for high school graduates, white collar exec jobs for college graduates and an opportunity for advancement for those who apply themselves. Even with a unionized labor force, corporations still made profits because the working American Public was their biggest customer. But then the shareholders got greedy. They decided that they can multiply there profits to the Nth degree by eliminating overhead - American workers - and moving production overseas. The corporate execs that pulled the plug on US jobs were rewarded handsomely for it through bonuses. Shareholders and execs got richer (the 1% that the OWS are after) and middle class Americans got poorer.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against free enterprise and the pursuit of wealth - just not at the expense of the middle class who carried this country on their backs for over a hundred years. Now we see our economic and public infrastructures breaking down because there isn't the tax revenue there used to be as jobs have left the country. The money the rich has made at our expense gets put into off shore accounts or hidden in tax loop holes. Yet, the rich expect police and fire protection, good roads and bridges, safe transportation, an educated public and national defense.

The OWS is just the start. We are in a fight for the American Way of Life as the ranks of the disenfranchised grows with each passing factory closing and job outsourcing. The Citizens Party Platform addresses all these causes and we can be at the forefront of changing the political system that has strangled our country's growth. It's time to storm the Bastille once again.     

Here is an interesting video from the "Occupy Wall Street protest support in  Phoenix" page on Facebook. It makes you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S880UldxB1o

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Occupy-Wall-Street-Protest-support-in...

 

One of the problems with the Occupy Movement as a whole from my perspective is that they are very much opposed to establishing leadership of any kind. To a degree this is understandable because those in the know among them have seen how other movements have been co-opted by other groups with AGENDAS. That said, some kind of leadership is going to have to emerge with these groups if they are to have a continued impact.

Brian Hunt said:

I agree very much with your analysis, Paul.  Movements such as the Occupy Wall Street movement offer potential opportunities to like-minded third party organizations, especially this organization.  It is our duty to continue to strive towards a greater America by highlighting and combating the corporate and banking interests and their crimes.  Let us hope that this movement sustains itself for many more months to come.

Nonetheless, I do wonder why this movement doesn't assert itself a litte more.  I'm surprised they haven't taken cues from effective historic political/social movements, such as the Civil Rights Movement.  Non-violent marches, boycotts, and sit-ins were effective tools that encouraged and produced change.  I woundn't necessarily consider such methods "anarchistic" (no offense).  But I'm not saying that the Citizens Party should encourage it, I'm just simply making an observation.

However, I whatever the OWS protesters do, it should not be done out of violence.  I do not condone it, and if they initiated any sort of violence, I would roundly condemn it.

Many thanks to Eric and Brian for their comments. Our greatest challenge is to get our message out there. Our advantage is that it is becoming evident that more and more of the American People are becoming fed up with the two-party system. So, it is incumbent upon the CP to get our message out. We also need dynamic candidates. I say we reach out to outstanding vets who recently came back and left the service to join our party. Also, lets hit the universities and colleges for new members. No wors spreads faster that through our young, technically savvy kids still in school.

PF   

Eric Bauer said:

One of the problems with the Occupy Movement as a whole from my perspective is that they are very much opposed to establishing leadership of any kind. To a degree this is understandable because those in the know among them have seen how other movements have been co-opted by other groups with AGENDAS. That said, some kind of leadership is going to have to emerge with these groups if they are to have a continued impact.

Brian Hunt said:

I agree very much with your analysis, Paul.  Movements such as the Occupy Wall Street movement offer potential opportunities to like-minded third party organizations, especially this organization.  It is our duty to continue to strive towards a greater America by highlighting and combating the corporate and banking interests and their crimes.  Let us hope that this movement sustains itself for many more months to come.

Nonetheless, I do wonder why this movement doesn't assert itself a litte more.  I'm surprised they haven't taken cues from effective historic political/social movements, such as the Civil Rights Movement.  Non-violent marches, boycotts, and sit-ins were effective tools that encouraged and produced change.  I woundn't necessarily consider such methods "anarchistic" (no offense).  But I'm not saying that the Citizens Party should encourage it, I'm just simply making an observation.

However, I whatever the OWS protesters do, it should not be done out of violence.  I do not condone it, and if they initiated any sort of violence, I would roundly condemn it.

I meant, "No word spreads faster than...." I should have ran this spell check... 

PAUL FIELDS said:

Many thanks to Eric and Brian for their comments. Our greatest challenge is to get our message out there. Our advantage is that it is becoming evident that more and more of the American People are becoming fed up with the two-party system. So, it is incumbent upon the CP to get our message out. We also need dynamic candidates. I say we reach out to outstanding vets who recently came back and left the service to join our party. Also, lets hit the universities and colleges for new members. No wors spreads faster that through our young, technically savvy kids still in school.

PF   

Eric Bauer said:

One of the problems with the Occupy Movement as a whole from my perspective is that they are very much opposed to establishing leadership of any kind. To a degree this is understandable because those in the know among them have seen how other movements have been co-opted by other groups with AGENDAS. That said, some kind of leadership is going to have to emerge with these groups if they are to have a continued impact.

Brian Hunt said:

I agree very much with your analysis, Paul.  Movements such as the Occupy Wall Street movement offer potential opportunities to like-minded third party organizations, especially this organization.  It is our duty to continue to strive towards a greater America by highlighting and combating the corporate and banking interests and their crimes.  Let us hope that this movement sustains itself for many more months to come.

Nonetheless, I do wonder why this movement doesn't assert itself a litte more.  I'm surprised they haven't taken cues from effective historic political/social movements, such as the Civil Rights Movement.  Non-violent marches, boycotts, and sit-ins were effective tools that encouraged and produced change.  I woundn't necessarily consider such methods "anarchistic" (no offense).  But I'm not saying that the Citizens Party should encourage it, I'm just simply making an observation.

However, I whatever the OWS protesters do, it should not be done out of violence.  I do not condone it, and if they initiated any sort of violence, I would roundly condemn it.

I will have an update from the Occupy philly camp on Wed. or Thursday. 

It was only about 15 minutes after I arrived at the Occupy Philly camp on the plaza in front of City Hall, when what seemed like 150 or so riot cops arrived and began evicting the protestors and taking down the tents. The protestors will not be returning to the plaza in front of city hall. Some vocal disagreements have emerged within the Occupy Philly protestors regarding the future path and location of the movement within the city. I will put together a longer blog post in the near future describing the good and the bad about the OWS movement and how the movement could help the Citizens Party greatly or hurt us. We can benefit from the movement if we have members willing to take action and do some of the important work, sacrifice and outreach that needs to be done. The movement could easily hurt us in many ways, but it cannot easily help us. I will explain further in the upcoming blog post. 

 

Michael Thompson said:

I will have an update from the Occupy philly camp on Wed. or Thursday. 

Paul Fields wrote: "This is exacerbated by the election cycle where politicians first - and sometimes only - priority is to get re-elected. In so doing, they solicit and receive corporate largess to fill their campaign war chests and after their election or re-election their are beholden to either pass laws or decline to that are favorable to their corporate puppeteers."

I have always wondered why We The People "buy into" this phenomena? Why do We pay attention to the propaganda these funds pay for? Haven't We learned yet, that most of it is misapplication of fact and context, twisting, partial telling, emotive instead of sensible and just down right lies? How much of what they say they are going to do, gets done? They end up doing what they want and We do nothing about it.

Oh, I know that Our Representatives do face opposition. Maybe the establishment of third or more elective power factors would cause less political gridlock and same old same old. Let's see the forces, that seek to puppeteer Our Representatives, do it with several leadership option paths. (multiple parties and Independent candidates)

Of course, the first of the third parties, to break the duopoly pendulum should be the Citizens Party.

RSS

Citizens

 


© 2017   Created by Citizens Party   Powered by

Citizens Party Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

About your image
Join our CircleFollow Us On TwitterJoin our CircleVisit Us On FacebookFollow Us Youtube
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...